Zucchini Carrot Bread
Raise your hand if your garden is blessing you with Zucchini or maybe you've got a midsummer itch for some Zucchs! Here's a fool proof loaf that is low on sugar, moist and sweet on the inside with sweet, crispy edges. I love to add carrots for added nutrition. I baked two and put one in the freezer as I am starting to prepare for "Back to you -know- what" at the end of this month. It will make the morning easier as a quick breakfast or a great addition to the lunch box. My family spreads salted butter on the warm bread or a smear of cream cheese. I also have a paleo version that is so freakin' awesome it will blow your mind... should I post it?
- 2 1/4 cup Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- 1 pound Zucchini ends removed, washed, and Shredded
- 1 cup Carrots ends removed, shredded, don't worry about peeling them!
- 3/4 cup Granulated sugar Organic raw sugar is always best, but use what you have
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Plain Yogurt I have substituted vanilla and it works just fine
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Juice from a Lemon
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter Melted and cooled
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom ro Cinnamon optional
- Random Oats and Course Sugar for sprinkling before baking. I love the crunch it gives to the top:)
- 2 T (Roughly) Sugar for tossing with veggies ~ you'll see
Postion your oven rack to the center and preheat Oven to 375
Melt the butter and let cool.
Grease a loaf pan and dust with some flour or grease just the ends and line with parchment paper ( my preference )
In a food processor, with the shredding blade, shred the Zucchs and Carrots. transfer them in a bowl toss them Tablespoon of sugar and let them sit. ( this will release any water from the veggies)
After 10 minutes or so, squeeze out the excess water from the veggies and add them to your dry ingredients.
In your Stand up mixer bowl, add the flour, Baking Soda and Powder, and Salt and spices (optional) and whisk to combined and separate lumps.
Toss your shredded Zucchini and Carrots in the dry ingredients.
In a separate bowl, whisk the Yogurt, Eggs, Lemon juice, butter until well combined.
With your paddle attachment, on low, start mixing the flour/veg mixture and slowly start pouring your bowl of wet ingredients. Please!!! Halfway through STOP. and scrape down the sides of the bowl ~ this allows for a mixture the is perfectly combined and a bread that will rise and crown properly.
Continue mixing until well combined ~about 3 minutes.
Pour and spread out into the loaf pan and sprinkle with oats and sugar (optional)
Bake for roughly 55 minutes or until a beautiful crown has emerged, dark golden brown, and when a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
Allow to cool on a wire rack in the pan for 20 minutes before releasing and slicing.